At its discretion the Society may list here positions available in New Zealand, positions wanted, and internships wanted in New Zealand. Small listings are free for members and subscribing organisations, larger listings may incur a fee (contact the Society administrator). Below the jobs listing, there is a list of employment agencies (updated October 2012) that have had hydrology related positions available in the past.
When requesting jobs information be advertised, the following details are required:
- Position available or position wanted or internship wanted
- Contact person and contact details
- Location of position
- Closing date if applicable
- Brief description (<50 words)
Email the information to the Society administrator.
Hydrology and Air Quality Technician
Kicking off your career or looking for a change?
Want a fun, happy, team environment?
Be valued, recognised & rewarded
You Will Get:
• Job security
• To work for a successful, reputable organisation
• Training and equipment provided
• Social fun environment
The role is adaptable to suit someone with previous Hydrological or Air Quality experience. The role would also suit an electrical/ telecommunications / trade background wanting a career change, or a graduate or new entrant willing to take on the job training and be supported as you work towards a Diploma in Field Hydrology.
You will join the Hydrology team at the Waikato Regional Council. You will be collecting water flow, rainfall, sediment and air quality data from our instruments. You need to methodically and accurately collect data using a range of different electronic and mechanical instrumentation, in all weathers. The role requires you to maintain the equipment, sites and telemetry systems used to collect the data. Our sites cover the whole of the Waikato - one day you could be in the Coromandel the next in Taupō, the King Country or Raglan.
Although there is a lot of field work, all of our data needs to be processed and quality checked in the office so being IT literate is a must along with an aptitude for maths and physics. You will need to process data in the office in a timely and accurate manner following set procedures. Your systems and data knowledge will enable you to identify issues with the data or equipment and propose solutions to fix the problems.
Health and Safety is at the forefront of everything we do at WRC, whether working on your own, or as part of a team. You will utilise your field knowledge to collect data safely and offer suggestions to improve the safety and efficiency of our sites. Our Health and Safety training also covers survival and rescue in swift water, therefore you will need to be a capable swimmer.
Applicants for this position should:
• Have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
• Have a Full NZ Drivers Licence - and able to drive a manual vehicle
• Enjoy being part of a team
• Have great communication skills
• Be able to use their initiative
• Be competent and focused on identifying health and safety issues
• Take pride in their workmanship
We offer stability, great wage rates and will support and coach you to further your career within the environmental monitoring industry.
Applications close: 24 June 2018
Employment Agencies that may have hydrology related positions
- Fusionz - Royal Society of NZ job search service- science & tech vacancies within NZ
- Technical Futures - NZ jobs
- CRS Recruit Ltd. - Engineering and technical recruitment in NZ
- Acorva - Technical Recruitment. New Zealand
- Careerjet.co.nz - NZ jobs
- Environment Jobs - Environment & Water sector, Australia and NZ
- Careerjet.co.nz - NZ jobs
- Rob Law Max Recruitment
- Australian Hydrographers Association - job/careers listing
- KFR Pty Ltd - Australia
- Principal Consulting Group (Australia)
- Water jobs Australia
- Job Top - UK Job Search Engine
- Jobs in Ireland
- New Scientist
- New Civil Engineer
- Water People
- Aquatech Recruitment
- Prospects UK
- Eden Recruitment
- Principal Hydrology
- Fast Stream
- Thomas Telford Recruitment
- The Guardian
- Environment Agency
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Environmental jobs and volunteering UK
- British Hydrological Society
- Water Jobs UK
- Environmental Jobs
Job Listings (2)
National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training
NCGRT PhD Research Opportunities - Expressions of Interest
The National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training (NCGRT) is currently seeking exceptional candidates for a mimited number of PhD research opportunities available throughout Australia Bringing together Australia's top federal and state water management and researc agencise and 12 Australian universtities, the Centre is recognised as Australis's laeding goundwater research and training institution.
We are now recruiting the best minds who are passionate about undertaking a PhD and becoming part of the next generation of groundwater specialists. You will conduct innovative research addressing the most pressing contemporary issues in groundwater science, NCGRT affiliated research, giving you access to the full range of expertise accross tis unique partnership. There are 20+ Groundwater projects.
The closing date for Expressions of Interest has been extended to Thursday 1st September.
Civil Engineer, Stormwater, Christchurch
The Opportunity: Due to on-going growth, we are looking for a stormwater-focused civil engineer to join our Christchurch Water team. Working in a well-respected team of stormwater and water resources specialists, your work will range from catchment planning and options assessment, to detailed design and construction management. Our clients span Canterbury and around New Zealand, across the local government, transportation, industrial, commercial and agricultural sectors.
About: You are an intermediate or senior level civil engineer, with 4 – 10 years' sound technical experience. This may include hydrology, hydraulics of pipe and open channel networks, catchment planning, water quality treatment, and flood risk assessment, as well as civil engineering design. You'll take accountability of your work with a track record of on-time and on-budget delivery. You'll be a team player who enjoys working as part of a talented and diverse team. You'll also need to have the ability to build strong relationships with clients, based on understanding their needs as well as maintaining their trust and confidence in our performance, ultimately leading to continuing work and repeat business. Project management or site experience would also be welcomed. You will ideally be chartered or working toward CPEng status.
In addition to this, you will ideally possess the following attributes:
• Ability to communicate positively with clients, management and other staff
• Excellent job delivery skills including experience in work planning and financial management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Can review and evaluate your own work for accuracy and the work of others
• The desire to contribute on a range of stormwater, civil and water projects
• Enthusiasm and enjoy working as part of a high performing team
Why Beca? As a valued Beca employee, you will enjoy many benefits including:
• Competitive remuneration and potential for shareholding
• On-going career development including encouragement and support to attain / maintain professional registration (e.g. CPEng)
• The chance to contribute to some of the most interesting and complex water projects across New Zealand and internationally
• The opportunity to be guided by a more experienced colleague through the Beca Mentoring Programme
Apply: People are vital to our business and our clients. Therefore, you can expect a world of opportunity. For a confidential conversation, call Steve Scannell (Recruitment Partner) on 04 901 2394, or simply apply today!
Consultancies who are likely to have hydrology related positions.
- Aqualinc Research Ltd
- GNS Science
- Golder Associates (NZ) Ltd
- Irricon Resource Solutions Ltd
- Lincoln Agritech Ltd
- OPUS International Consultants
- Pattle Delamore Partners Ltd
- Riley Consultants
- Sinclair Knight Merz
- SMEC New Zealand Ltd
- Tonkin and Taylor
- URS New Zealand
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.