At its discretion the Society may list here positions available in New Zealand, positions wanted, and internships wanted in New Zealand. Small listings are free for members and subscribing organisations, larger listings may incur a fee (contact the Society administrator). Below the jobs listing, there is a list of employment agencies (updated October 2012) that have had hydrology related positions available in the past.
When requesting jobs information be advertised, the following details are required:
- Position available or position wanted or internship wanted
- Contact person and contact details
- Location of position
- Closing date if applicable
- Brief description (<50 words)
Email the information to the Society administrator.
• Are you a hydrogeologist with great analytical & reporting skills?
• Can you translate & communicate science effectively to a variety of audiences?
• Leave your legacy on Auckland!
The Research and Evaluation Unit (RIMU) is Auckland Council's environmental, social, economic and cultural research centre. We collect and communicate high-quality evidence to assist policy development, implementation and evaluation; decisions that ultimately affect the 1.5 million residents across Auckland's 5,600 square km.
The Environment teams in the Unit provide the data needed to evaluate our region's environment, describe its state and trends over time, and identify and address knowledge gaps to improve our understanding of environmental systems and the effects of resource management decisions.
We are looking for a hydrogeologist with specialist experience in surface water-groundwater monitoring, research, and resource management skills to join RIMU's Environment team. We have some exciting work ahead of us and we need your experience to develop and deliver the groundwater monitoring and research programme, and in particular, work with others in Council to establish a robust accounting system to help us meet our National Policy Statement freshwater obligations.
Your skills and experience
To be successful in this role, you will have
• a strong background in research, as well as a proven ability to work in an applied environment
• a relevant Masters or PhD level qualification and strong experience in hydrogeology, groundwater resource management (quality and/or quantity), or relevant applied environmental science /resource management
• the natural ability to influence, collaborate and work innovatively and strategically across a number of environmental fields
• the ability to disseminate and communicate complex environmental data to better inform decision-makers and activities in the region
• excellent leadership and mentoring skills
In addition to the above must-have's, it would also be desirable for you to have:
• a sound knowledge of freshwater policy
• experience in groundwater modelling
• effective project management experience
What you can expect from us
In addition to a competitive salary, you will be part of one of the best teams in Council. We have a great culture, and look forward to your contribution in helping us leave a positive environmental legacy on Auckland.
This role is safety sensitive, requires pre-employment drug testing and a full driver's license.
In the first instance, please apply via the 'apply now' button below.
For more information please call Shar Mahon on 027 769 1880.
Applications close at 10.30pm on Sunday, 10 June 2018.
Note that the official position title for this role is "Senior Scientist"
To apply for this job, please click here or go to our job site and enter the job code 109523SK
Employment Agencies that may have hydrology related positions
- Fusionz - Royal Society of NZ job search service- science & tech vacancies within NZ
- Technical Futures - NZ jobs
- CRS Recruit Ltd. - Engineering and technical recruitment in NZ
- Acorva - Technical Recruitment. New Zealand
- Careerjet.co.nz - NZ jobs
- Environment Jobs - Environment & Water sector, Australia and NZ
- Careerjet.co.nz - NZ jobs
- Rob Law Max Recruitment
- Australian Hydrographers Association - job/careers listing
- KFR Pty Ltd - Australia
- Principal Consulting Group (Australia)
- Water jobs Australia
- Job Top - UK Job Search Engine
- Jobs in Ireland
- New Scientist
- New Civil Engineer
- Water People
- Aquatech Recruitment
- Prospects UK
- Eden Recruitment
- Principal Hydrology
- Fast Stream
- Thomas Telford Recruitment
- The Guardian
- Environment Agency
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Environmental jobs and volunteering UK
- British Hydrological Society
- Water Jobs UK
- Environmental Jobs
Job Listings (2)
National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training
NCGRT PhD Research Opportunities - Expressions of Interest
The National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training (NCGRT) is currently seeking exceptional candidates for a mimited number of PhD research opportunities available throughout Australia Bringing together Australia's top federal and state water management and researc agencise and 12 Australian universtities, the Centre is recognised as Australis's laeding goundwater research and training institution.
We are now recruiting the best minds who are passionate about undertaking a PhD and becoming part of the next generation of groundwater specialists. You will conduct innovative research addressing the most pressing contemporary issues in groundwater science, NCGRT affiliated research, giving you access to the full range of expertise accross tis unique partnership. There are 20+ Groundwater projects.
The closing date for Expressions of Interest has been extended to Thursday 1st September.
Civil Engineer, Stormwater, Christchurch
The Opportunity: Due to on-going growth, we are looking for a stormwater-focused civil engineer to join our Christchurch Water team. Working in a well-respected team of stormwater and water resources specialists, your work will range from catchment planning and options assessment, to detailed design and construction management. Our clients span Canterbury and around New Zealand, across the local government, transportation, industrial, commercial and agricultural sectors.
About: You are an intermediate or senior level civil engineer, with 4 – 10 years' sound technical experience. This may include hydrology, hydraulics of pipe and open channel networks, catchment planning, water quality treatment, and flood risk assessment, as well as civil engineering design. You'll take accountability of your work with a track record of on-time and on-budget delivery. You'll be a team player who enjoys working as part of a talented and diverse team. You'll also need to have the ability to build strong relationships with clients, based on understanding their needs as well as maintaining their trust and confidence in our performance, ultimately leading to continuing work and repeat business. Project management or site experience would also be welcomed. You will ideally be chartered or working toward CPEng status.
In addition to this, you will ideally possess the following attributes:
• Ability to communicate positively with clients, management and other staff
• Excellent job delivery skills including experience in work planning and financial management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Can review and evaluate your own work for accuracy and the work of others
• The desire to contribute on a range of stormwater, civil and water projects
• Enthusiasm and enjoy working as part of a high performing team
Why Beca? As a valued Beca employee, you will enjoy many benefits including:
• Competitive remuneration and potential for shareholding
• On-going career development including encouragement and support to attain / maintain professional registration (e.g. CPEng)
• The chance to contribute to some of the most interesting and complex water projects across New Zealand and internationally
• The opportunity to be guided by a more experienced colleague through the Beca Mentoring Programme
Apply: People are vital to our business and our clients. Therefore, you can expect a world of opportunity. For a confidential conversation, call Steve Scannell (Recruitment Partner) on 04 901 2394, or simply apply today!
Consultancies who are likely to have hydrology related positions.
- Aqualinc Research Ltd
- GNS Science
- Golder Associates (NZ) Ltd
- Irricon Resource Solutions Ltd
- Lincoln Agritech Ltd
- OPUS International Consultants
- Pattle Delamore Partners Ltd
- Riley Consultants
- Sinclair Knight Merz
- SMEC New Zealand Ltd
- Tonkin and Taylor
- URS New Zealand
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.