At its discretion the Society may list here positions available in New Zealand, positions wanted, and internships wanted in New Zealand. Small listings are free for members and subscribing organisations, larger listings may incur a fee (contact the Society administrator). Below the jobs listing, there is a list of employment agencies (updated October 2012) that have had hydrology related positions available in the past.
When requesting jobs information be advertised, the following details are required:
- Position available or position wanted or internship wanted
- Contact person and contact details
- Location of position
- Closing date if applicable
- Brief description (<50 words)
Email the information to the Society administrator.
SENIOR ENVIRONMENTAL DATA OFFICER FOR GISBORNE DISTRICT COUNCIL
Our Environmental Monitoring team is looking for a dedicated data specialist to join the team. The person we are looking for will have a passion for science and the environment, attention to detail and understand the importance of quality data.
We are interested in hearing from a range of applicants from both senior level through to candidates with early career data officer experience. Appropriate training and development will be offered to the successful candidate.
This role requires maintenance and development of data systems and an understanding of workflow to support the collection of environmental data from field work and research. The role will provide technical advice specific to environmental data and will ensure our information is collected, managed and protected to a high standard.
To be successful at this role you will need:
- a degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry or related discipline
- be passionate about hydrology and environmental systems
- prior experience working with databases or data systems
- confidence with report writing, data analysis, presentations, monitoring and statistical information
- have had applied experience in Hydrology and Water Quality related disciplines or demonstrated knowledge in this area
- analytical and problem solving skills
In return, we offer you a rare opportunity to apply your skills and experience in role that helps protect and improve our environment across the Tairawhiti region. We offer you unique and varied work, a supportive, dedicated and talented team to work with, work/life balance and a great lifestyle living in sunny Gisborne.
For further information please contact Peter Hancock.
Applications Close: 10am, Wednesday 10th April 2019.
Groundwater Field Technician - ESR
Technician, Full time, Permanent
Christchurch Science Centre
ESR is a Crown Research Institute, working with and for clients and stakeholders in central and local government, industry organisations and the private sector to deliver enhanced scientific research services for the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of New Zealand. ESR has approximately 400 staff with sites in Auckland, Christchurch, Upper Hutt, and Porirua.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a team focused technician to join our successful and growing Groundwater team in Christchurch. The work you will be doing is very diverse and some of the aspects are:
- Problem-solving, particularly in relation to science methods
- Plan, collect data, analyse and report results for specific areas of work
- Maintenance of laboratory and field equipment (both mechanical and basic electrical)
- Assist in the design of groundwater contamination experiments
- Collection of water samples from wells, springs and vadose zone
- Carrying out water and solute transport experiments using laboratory columns, flumes and lysimeters
The successful applicant will have a relevant tertiary science qualification, probably in microbiology or chemistry, and computer skills, and possibly some relevant work experience in water science, preferably groundwater science. You will have to demonstrate the ability to work independently across a range of technical duties. You must also have the ability to travel/be away from home, perform weekend and after hours work on occasion, and carry out fieldwork which can range from 1 to 4 weeks per year and may be up to 1 week at a time. The role may involve heavy lifting and physical work. A current full driver's licence is also required for this role.
For more information please contact Murray Close (email@example.com).
To find out more about this position and to apply please visit our website
Applications close: 18 November 2018
HYDROLOGIST - TAURANGA
The Hydrology team here at Trustpower is responsible for ensuring that hydrological monitoring systems we use are designed, enhanced, constructed, implemented and maintained to be fit for purpose.
You will be applying your specialist knowledge of hydrometric data systems including databases, as well as liaising with our own Generation Division staff across NZ, to implement strategies that will drive compliance and quality initiatives.
- See and understand some diverse and complex hydrological systems
- Provide technical water resource and hydrological services to the wider team and Generation division
- Collect, process and interpret hydrological data.
- Assist in site management and the maintenance of a hydrometric database
- Provide technical advice on the selection and verification of hydrological data collection equipment across a diverse range of locations.
Skills & Experience
- Experience in maintaining hydrometric networks, a working knowledge of associated monitoring instrumentation, undertaking flow measurements and maintaining ratings.
- Relevant degree in engineering or hydrology (science)
- Experience using hydrological databases, preferably Hydstra
- Proactive in investigating and addressing issues
What's on Offer?
There will be plenty of diversity and opportunity for workload sharing, along with time spent at spectacular hydro generation locations throughout New Zealand. Your knowledge and commitment to Health and Safety will be paramount.
If you are keen to be part of a dedicated team who want to provide a valuable contribution to the Generation division, then this is your opportunity!
If this sounds like you, check out the position description and apply today. Please call Isobelle Barrett on 022 304 0298 if you have any questions. Applications close 5pm, Sunday 18th of November.
|Posted on||29 Oct 2018|
|Closes on||18 Nov 2018 23:55|
|Work type(s)||Permanent full time|
|More details (document)||Hydrologist PD.docx|
Senior Environmental Scientist
Employment Agencies that may have hydrology related positions
- Fusionz - Royal Society of NZ job search service- science & tech vacancies within NZ
- Technical Futures - NZ jobs
- CRS Recruit Ltd. - Engineering and technical recruitment in NZ
- Acorva - Technical Recruitment. New Zealand
- Careerjet.co.nz - NZ jobs
- Environment Jobs - Environment & Water sector, Australia and NZ
- Careerjet.co.nz - NZ jobs
- Rob Law Max Recruitment
- Australian Hydrographers Association - job/careers listing
- KFR Pty Ltd - Australia
- Principal Consulting Group (Australia)
- Water jobs Australia
- Job Top - UK Job Search Engine
- Jobs in Ireland
- New Scientist
- New Civil Engineer
- Water People
- Aquatech Recruitment
- Prospects UK
- Eden Recruitment
- Principal Hydrology
- Fast Stream
- Thomas Telford Recruitment
- The Guardian
- Environment Agency
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Environmental jobs and volunteering UK
- British Hydrological Society
- Water Jobs UK
- Environmental Jobs
Job Listings (2)
National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training
NCGRT PhD Research Opportunities - Expressions of Interest
The National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training (NCGRT) is currently seeking exceptional candidates for a mimited number of PhD research opportunities available throughout Australia Bringing together Australia's top federal and state water management and researc agencise and 12 Australian universtities, the Centre is recognised as Australis's laeding goundwater research and training institution.
We are now recruiting the best minds who are passionate about undertaking a PhD and becoming part of the next generation of groundwater specialists. You will conduct innovative research addressing the most pressing contemporary issues in groundwater science, NCGRT affiliated research, giving you access to the full range of expertise accross tis unique partnership. There are 20+ Groundwater projects.
The closing date for Expressions of Interest has been extended to Thursday 1st September.
Civil Engineer, Stormwater, Christchurch
The Opportunity: Due to on-going growth, we are looking for a stormwater-focused civil engineer to join our Christchurch Water team. Working in a well-respected team of stormwater and water resources specialists, your work will range from catchment planning and options assessment, to detailed design and construction management. Our clients span Canterbury and around New Zealand, across the local government, transportation, industrial, commercial and agricultural sectors.
About: You are an intermediate or senior level civil engineer, with 4 – 10 years' sound technical experience. This may include hydrology, hydraulics of pipe and open channel networks, catchment planning, water quality treatment, and flood risk assessment, as well as civil engineering design. You'll take accountability of your work with a track record of on-time and on-budget delivery. You'll be a team player who enjoys working as part of a talented and diverse team. You'll also need to have the ability to build strong relationships with clients, based on understanding their needs as well as maintaining their trust and confidence in our performance, ultimately leading to continuing work and repeat business. Project management or site experience would also be welcomed. You will ideally be chartered or working toward CPEng status.
In addition to this, you will ideally possess the following attributes:
• Ability to communicate positively with clients, management and other staff
• Excellent job delivery skills including experience in work planning and financial management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Can review and evaluate your own work for accuracy and the work of others
• The desire to contribute on a range of stormwater, civil and water projects
• Enthusiasm and enjoy working as part of a high performing team
Why Beca? As a valued Beca employee, you will enjoy many benefits including:
• Competitive remuneration and potential for shareholding
• On-going career development including encouragement and support to attain / maintain professional registration (e.g. CPEng)
• The chance to contribute to some of the most interesting and complex water projects across New Zealand and internationally
• The opportunity to be guided by a more experienced colleague through the Beca Mentoring Programme
Apply: People are vital to our business and our clients. Therefore, you can expect a world of opportunity. For a confidential conversation, call Steve Scannell (Recruitment Partner) on 04 901 2394, or simply apply today!
Consultancies who are likely to have hydrology related positions.
- Aqualinc Research Ltd
- GNS Science
- Golder Associates (NZ) Ltd
- Irricon Resource Solutions Ltd
- Lincoln Agritech Ltd
- OPUS International Consultants
- Pattle Delamore Partners Ltd
- Riley Consultants
- Sinclair Knight Merz
- SMEC New Zealand Ltd
- Tonkin and Taylor
- URS New Zealand
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.